Sunday, June 10, 2012

Catering the Shower Pt. 2 (shopping)

Well I didn't get to post prior to the event as I was hoping, so I'll do a recap.

Made my final ingredients list and went shopping. Did almost all of it at No Frills. Yes I know I should have gone to the organic market and such. But this was a non-paying gig and as much as I like the guest of honour at this shower and as much money you can save by illiminating meat from the menu. The bill was still going to be well over $100 even at the discount market, so I had to go on the cheap. Not that the food wasn't healthy. Just not organic healthy, and if Michael Pollan has shown me one thing, even the  word "organic"can be sketchy. My shopping excursion was a success except for Hungarian Paprika (which was not a necessity, but a personal choice for the chickballs) and the rice paper wrappers. I was surprised that No Frills and Sobey's either stopped carrying them or were completely out. Even the staff at Sobey's were surprised. We all know what they looked like, we all knew where they would be if they were in stock. But no rice paper. I eventually had to go to the Superstore down the road a ways to pick some up.
With my ingredients in hand I ventured forward into the catering world. Little did I know that being a dad and working in a kitchen your baby daughter and wife refuse to stay out of can lead to a huge headache, cooking at all hours of the night. and illiminating one of the dishes all together. Which one? Tune in next week when I'm not in the middle of my worknight for "Chickballs n' BBQ Sauce"

No comments:

Post a Comment