Saturday, December 18, 2010

Soup: Not you again!

After a long day of Christmas shopping and holding off on mall junk food binging. I go grocery shopping because I am going away for the holidays. So I have to finish what is left in the fridge. And out of the kindness of her heart, my wife has made a healthy mixed bean soup. Well, made as in she bought a package of pre-made(grrrr) dry soup mix from The Big Carrot (so you know it good).
Soup; there are good ones out there. My mom's greek lentil soup called "Faki" is equally good hot or cold, and gets better as the flavours meld together every passing day. But unlike my mother who puts flavour first, my wife's oh so healthy and easy soups tend to be....bland. Where is the slow sweating of the onions, celery, garlic. The richly flavoured broth with, if I'm lucky, has the gelatinous richness of a good chicken stock (which I have frozen in my freezer for such soup emergencies.)
But I know health is important and to tell you the truth the issue here is not the flavour. I can stomach a healthy, rich in folate and fibre organic soup on a weeknight meal with a wedge of cheese and a bit of bread. It's the quantity that kills me. I've got about 6 servings of this stuff and nothing else to eat.
Why does it seem that the people who try to stuff you full of "healthy" foods tend to eat out a lot more and rely on pre-mades more than us true omnivores. My wife is presently enjoying lunch at Fresh while I'm here stuck with wet legumes. And believe me I'll probably be the one finishing them off... Was that a tangent? oh well. I guess I'm just trying to put of the soup eating.

So to soup I say you're welcome to visit. But don't pack an overnight bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment