Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Always Leave Them "Wonton" More

"Let's go out for Dim Sum sometime." Words I never thought I's here comin gout of my wife's mouth. Largely due to an incident  in Detroit where she got food poisoning from chinese take out. And it didn't help that her old housemate would regularly get sick after buying and eating discount meat from the chinese market.  I have fond memories of Dim Sum in my Ottawa years, a tasty and inexpensive lunch shared among friends so I am definitely up for it anytime.  So far I haven't tracked down a location that I am confident with but there are a few contenders. But until we have our date night at a local T.O. spot. What's to stop me from making some at home?

Chicken feet aside (tried it, not a  fan) The most popular item on the Dim Sum menu are the assorted pot stickers. I've made them before and can easily find a decent recipe for any assortment of flavours. But most cookbooks generally skip the recipe for the wontons. This was made clear to me by a recent visit to Chapters, as I perused the Asian cookbooks, not a single one had a simple wonton wrapper recipe. What gives? I know they are easily found in most grocery stores (aside from my local No Frills, jerks, finally found them with the salad greens) but I thought it would be like reading a decent italian cookbook which generally have a simple pasta recipe within it's pages. Not the case. So with a bit of googling, I found that the wrappers are not only simple to make, but are pretty much the same as egg noodles. I was thinking rice flour, but nope, just good ol' A.P.F.

I had just bought a whole organic chicken and used the breasts to make chicken fingers for the girls the night before, and was brining the legs and thighs. So I thought I'd use them for a potsticker filling. Using a "Pork and Cabbage" recipe from Asian Bites - Tom Kime as my frame for this effort.  Did I succeed? Not so much. But in a good way. I made the dough for the wontons, then the filling. But just as I started rolling out the dough, my family burst through the door. Out of time. So with the chicken and cabbage filling still warm on the stovetop. I threw a pot of water on, pulled almond sized  pieces off of the dough into a bowl. Threw them in the boiling water and a quick strain and used the residual heat and starchy liquid to reheat and sauce up the meat. And oh man, it may not be dim sum, but it was tasty. Next time. Start an hour earlier. But for now, maybe I've come up with a new family staple.


No comments:

Post a Comment