Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Pot Roast Experiment

I've never made a pot roast before, Odd? Maybe, but the thought of taking a beautiful piece of meat and slowly boiling it in stock never really appealed to me. But I am committed to clearing out my freezer before spending any more money filling it up again and I happened upon a 2kg pot roast. Now I could have minced it for a pie. I have an abundance of butter that I need to use and thought to make pie shells out of it and a meat pie would work, but I recently made a wonderful Shepard's Pie and minced some lamb shoulder to make it so to desecrate two cuts of meat would just be wrong. So I'll go with the pot roast.
My first strange twist is a brine, I have no idea what this will do to the meat but if it's infused with salt and spicy flavour like my chickens do it should work well. Otherwise I've ruined a good piece of meat. The brine consisted of Water, Salt, Peppercorns, Garlic, Bay Leaf, Allspice, Chilli Flakes, and dried Rosemary. I'm thinking overkill but let's see. I have to wait for a phone guy at home tomorrow so why not do the roast while I work and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment